10 Simple ways to save energy and money this summer:
1. Set your air conditioner thermostat as high as comfortable. When out of the house turn it up 10 degrees. Keep inside air vents clear from furniture and other objects.
2. Replace, clean, or tune up your central air conditioner filters monthly, for more efficient operation
3. Reduce indoor heat: Run the dryer and dishwasher at night on hot days and let your dishes air dry. More efficiency can be achieved by reducing heat-generating incandescent lighting and use a microwave, toaster oven or outdoor grill instead of the oven. It's best to avoid the use of major appliances between 2 and 8 pm.
4. Set your water heater to 120 degrees
5. Keep the blinds and windows closed during the day and open at night.
6. Fans are a low-cost ways to stay comfortable.
7. Wash clothes in cold water and clean the lint filer after every use.
8. Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use.
9. Eliminate, or deactivate, extra freezers or refrigerators if possible. If you use ComED, they have free refrigerator recycling if you have a unit that you aren't using.
10. If you have a pool: Consider slowly reducing pool filtration time by 30 minute increments daily. You may find you only need to run your pool filter six hours a day. Install a timer to control the length of time that the pool pump cycles on.